The growth of online retail is uncontrollable and the phenomenon is expected to continue in the coming years. Businesses have started to realize that the only option to be able to compete in the market is to have a website. However, how much investment will a website require and will the expense be justified? The following are the most common questions on the cost of web design and development.
Is $200 enough for building a website?
For $200 you can have a website but it will look like every other commercially themed WordPress site on the net. If you intend to have a website with a killer design and some web development work, it will cost you much more than $200. The first thing you need to know before you make a budget for your website is your requirements whether you need a blog or content functionality. How much content do you actually need? Do you need special features like SEO, social media, shopping cart and payment gateway?
Will a new site cost more than a redesign?
With a new website, you can easily collaborate with the web designer to get the exact site you desire. It is more difficult to create a website from scratch which means that it will definitely cost more than redesign. You can probably set aside a budget of $500 as base cost for building a site and $250 for redesign.
Will you have your website optimized for mobile?
Mobile shopping is becoming the trend and it makes sense to have your site optimized for mobile. You will need responsive web design so that user experience will be the same whether your site is accessed from a desktop computer, tablet or a mobile phone. However, responsive web design is more complicated than standard web design which means an additional cost of investment.
Will website design include content?
You can update website content on your own because the web designer will usually integrate a design template that you can use for no additional cost. If you are running a WordPress site, it is very likely that you also have content management system (CMS) integrated into web design that will allow you to add your own blogs.
A tutorial on how to create your own website logo using quick and easy steps.
A site without a logo is like a brand without a name. One of the baby steps you take when creating a website is adding your personal touch – a logo. Making your own logo depends on how good you are in designing. There are people who can do it in 5 minutes and there are those that need help. Of you belong in the latter then this article is just right for you. This is a tutorial on how you can create your own logo. You may not get an award winning result but at least you’ll have something that says “you” on your website.
- You will need a painting program to start with. You can get free software programs from http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/imagephotoediting.shtml. The most common yet quite expensive software is Adobe Photoshop.
- Some of the software programs available have very limited fonts. It is best to find some fonts online so you have a selection at your disposal. There are free ones from http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/freefonts.shtml.
Steps on How to Create the Logo
1. The Basic
Since we are not going for the really high-end logo, we can list the two basic component: the first is the logo with a picture or a symbol on it and the second one is the name of a site/company with an optional catchy slogan or phrase.
Adding these two components may give us:
- Superimposed words on a photo
- A picture with the site name
- Picture that serves as a background to all or some part of the logo
- Or the simplest, pure text logo
2. Start Designing
First step to do is create a picture. You will need software programs for these. You can get a graphic for your logo in two ways:
- By using a photo you took yourself with your own camera
- Or, by drawing your own.
Adding it All Together
These steps tackle how to add site’s name or an optional slogan on the photo.
- Start with a new canvas.
- In another window, load the image you created earlier. Copy the image and close the window then switch back to the new canvas.
- For the empty canvas, create a new layer and name it anything you want then paste the image you copied earlier.
- Move the image using the “Move Tool” on your software and place it on the place you planned it to be in the logo.
- Using the canvas, create a new layer and rename it with your website’s name. Make one new layer for each word of your site’s name then use the “Type Tool” in your software and put in the website name. Be creative, you can change the font, the size, as well as the colour.
- Drag all the elements in their proper places until you are satisfied.
- Save your work under a new filename so it won’t overlap the previous one and you can make another version.
- Three formats are suitable when uploading to a website: GIF, JPG or PNG. If your logo has an image on it, JPG and PNG is the best option to preserve the image’s quality.
Done! You can upload your new logo in your website or if you think you can do better then you can try experimenting on other logo ideas.
A good website has the capability to impact on the perception of your target audience. It only takes a few seconds for a visitor to gain an impression of your site which requires that web design be build with the goal of establishing credibility and building trust among potential customers. A good web design is composed of different elements that can establish your web presence.
Why are navigation links important in web design?
Many websites have features that allow you to click on a link to bring you to different parts of a page. For example, in the web design of papermart.com, its navigation links to information about packing that a visitor might be interested in. When you click on “wraps” it will take you to the page where you can gain information on different fabrics that can be used for gift wraps. As visitors view page content, they can easily click on any link that will take them to other pages. Eventually, the visitor has consumed multiple pages of content by simply clicking on the navigation links.
What is the impact of hover effects on web design?
Hover effects can help a visitor identify a page on a website. For example, if you put your cursor over a certain part of a page, it changes color or highlights information to let you know where you are. When you scroll on the navigation bar, different buttons tend to change color to help you keep track of where are looking at on a page. Hover effects can certainly improve user experience.
Can a flat design attract visitors?
Instead of using three-dimensional features, some web designers prefer the flat design to give a site a minimalistic and simple appearance. Instead of focusing on design, the visitor’s attention is focused on website content. Instead of overloading the website with different design elements, the web designer generally makes good use of white space that will put emphasis on content.
Why is typography important in web design?
Many web designers use a certain style of typography that identifies them from their competitors. Web designers have a broad selection of typography used in creating awareness for a brand. This will allow visitors to immediately identify a brand as well as the website.
Step 1. Get yourself a domain name.
A domain name is a name that you want your website to have. For example, if you’re making a website for shoes, you can get a domain name like www.myshoes.com. To do this, you’ll have to register and pay for your domain name in an online registrar. The fee is paid annually. A domain name is not yet a website.
Step 2. Look for a good web host company online
Register your domain name in a web host company. A web host is a company that has a collection of different computers connected to the Internet. By putting your web page on their network you allow your website to be viewed by everybody online.
Step 3. Web Design
After getting a domain name and signing up in a web host company you now have to design your website. You can hire a website designer to do this for you. If you don’t have a website designer you don’t have to worry. There are different ways on how you can design your website for free. For example, you can use a free web editor named Dreamweaver. Tutorials on how you can use the Dreamweaver to design your website can be found online.
Step 4. Run your Website in a Browser
To make sure that your website is doing what it should, you have to run it as you design it. You can do it by using different browsers such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome and Opera. You can easily download these browsers for free. To test your website, type the name of your website in the browser and open it. Check if all the hyperlinks are properly working.
Step 5. The Money Bank
Websites that sell products or services will require a payment method. You can use Paypal by linking it to your website. You can also make money by placing advertisements on your webpage.
Step 6. Market your Website
Now that your website is running, you can send it to Google or other search engines for their listing. Doing this will make your website linked to other websites. You can also promote your website using internet marketing companies. They will do the marketing work for you.
One of the most important element in web design is the navigation of the site. Whether it is easy to follow or complicated, it will affect the interaction of the visitors of your site. And this will also affect the length of their stay and the frequency of their visits. And whether your website sells My Little Pony pajamas or your website houses reviews and editorials, this element should be given enough consideration.
And you know why it is important to properly plan the navigation of your system? It’s because the top reason why most people are very unsatisfied with a specific website is because they can’t find what they are looking for. This is where I based the navigation of my website from.
Different Navigation Approaches to Consider
When I created my site, I considered different navigation approaches. Technically, there are four considerations we can choose from.
• Linear Navigation – this is considered as one of the effective navigation system when selling products and closing business transaction. It’s a kind of navigation which does not have any other way but forward (or NEXT in terms of web pages). Visitors will have a clearer sight on what path to take. And the lack of those options will help them decide for themselves if they will continue or not.
• Hierarchical Navigation – this refers to a navigation approach which uses hierarchy of links. This is more useful for sites with a lot of pages and content. Opening a link will give way to more link options.
• Portal Navigation – this navigation approach is that which can take you to a lot of sites linked in the website. Just like what a portal is, it’s like a doorway to different websites – like some sort of a train station.
• Global Navigation – this approach is represented by a button or a link which will be present in all the web pages of the site. One example of this is the drop down menu used in this site. Choosing and purchasing My Little Pony clothes or My Little Pony hoodies is made easier because of this navigation tool.
There is more than just putting in the most common questions and answers on a FAQ page. There is more you can do with the page to improve rapport with an audience. The FAQ page provides the visitor with an opportunity to figure out things by themselves which means that user experience must be the priority of the FAQ page. It can be the most visited page in a site aside from the homepage. Here are some examples of the most frequently asked questions on web design and programming.
Is it possible to use Microsoft Word on a web page?
Microsoft Word on a web page is not always the best solution because the main purpose of Word is for the creation of print documents not HTML documents. However, there are a couple ways to use Word on a web page through Web Page Wizard and by converting an existing document to a web page.
What is HTML?
HTML means Hyper Text Markup Language which is the main language used in web pages. There are different versions of HTML which are supported by web browsers so that it can be read by people. Most web designers base their choice of HTML version on what is supported by majority of modern browsers. The most common version used by web designers is HTML 4.01 that adds more features and tags with wider browser support.
What is XHTML?
XHTML combines the flexibility of HTML as well as the extensibility of XML meaning that it reduces the complexity of HTML but retains its flexibility and power. HTML is a markup language intended for a specific audience while XHTML is an extensible markup language.
Why do most URL’s end with a slash sign (/)?
Most URL’s that are published do not have the trailing slash sign at the end of the domain name but once you visit the URL it will appear with a slash sign. The reason is to speed up page loading because the slash sign will tell the web server to go look for it instantaneously. Without the slash sign, the web server will go on a redirect that will take significantly longer for the page to load.